Strategic Workforce Planning Accredited Programme
Gain expertise in the practical application of critical workforce planning steps for organisational resilience in the ever-changing world of work.
Effective workforce planning facilitates agile people solutions and business intelligence to help organisations achieve strategic goals. Recent global events have proved that organisations with a clear understanding of their workforce are able to adapt their operations effectively in constantly changing circumstances.
This online Accredited Programme provides specialist expertise for people professionals whose responsibilities and interests cover different aspects of workforce plan implementation. Scoped and led by Adam Gibson, strategic workforce planning leader, the programme covers six stages essential to every practitioner, with an emphasis on evidence-based practice and global relevance. By exploring steps, tips and tools that prepare organisations for the unknown, participants will enhance their workforce planning skills to confidently deliver effective strategic solutions for the business.
Learners will reflect on their current approach and shape their behaviours to become a confident practitioner in the field, planning future needs and delivering outcomes. They will demonstrate competence through a final marked submission based on the practical application of learning in context.
All CIPD Learning courses will automatically provide you with access to the CIPD Learning Hub, our online learning platform, for 24 months. The hub will house your course content, as well as useful resources, tools, and a community of professionals that you can tap into to support your learning and continual development.
This course will enable you to:
- explain why workforce planning is important for organisations
- recognise the concept and limitations of traditional approaches to workforce planning and the value of a holistic and agile approach
- articulate your organisation’s current approach to workforce planning
- explain the operating model of your organisation and how that translates into its organisational structure
- complete environmental scanning for your own organisation
- map your stakeholders and their relationship to workforce planning
- agree a baseline with your stakeholders as a basis of workforce planning
- collect and analyse workforce data from multiple angles to draw rich insights
- apply workforce segmentation to identify where to focus workforce planning activity
- forecast how your current workforce will evolve into a future workforce
- recognise and investigate the megatrends impacting the workforce of the future
- summarise the concept of demand and how it translates into a need for a workforce
- calculate the workforce demand using a variety of different methods
- forecast the future workforce need
- assess the evolving gap between supply and demand
- compare the differences between multiple scenarios
- communicate the problem statement to stakeholder
- recognise the benefits of collaboration in action planning
- undertake a cost/benefit analysis of initiatives
- create recommendations and plans for demand optimisation and talent management
- create a strategic workforce plan and a governance framework
- rollout and manage the performance of the organisation against the plan
- manage the quality, risks and assumptions of the plan
- embed strategic workforce planning process with iteration of the plan and incremental problem solving.
Is this course right for me?
This Accredited Programme is aimed at strategic workforce planning practitioners with limited exposure to formal development in this area. HR and L&D practitioners whose responsibilities cover different aspects of workforce plan implementation will gain proof of existing competence or practical experience and be able to apply SWP approaches in their context.
What will I need to successfully complete the programme?
Please ensure you can answer yes to the following statements to ensure you can successfully complete this programme.
- I am currently working in this profession or area of work, or have recently done so, and will be able to refer to current or past work examples during my learning.
- I can write an assessment answer which reflects on my learning and demonstrates how I can apply it in my context.
- I will have online access to use the CIPD Learning Hub for the duration of the programme.
- I can use the English language at the IELTS level 6 “Competent user” level or above. For more information see: https://www.ielts.org/about-ielts/what-is-ielts.
- I understand I must complete the programme within a 12-month deadline of my registration payment.
- I will inform CIPD Learning if I have a learning accessibility need or disability for which I would require a reasonable adjustment.
- I confirm I have read and accept the programme policy.
I want to put my team on this course
To challenge teams of HR, L&D or workforce planning practitioners and help them deliver effective plans that align to business strategy, this online Accredited Programme can be delivered to groups of learners.
If you are looking to place more than four learners onto this course, please contact us to discuss a team solution >
By the end of this course, you'll be able to:
- describe what workforce planning is, its purpose and why it’s needed by any organisation
- recognise strategic context of the organisation
- recognise the nature of the workforce
- be able to gain stakeholder buy-in
- appraise dynamics of workforce
- segment the workforce to identify where to focus workforce planning activity
- identify demand drivers and translate into the future workforce requirement
- recognise the gap between what you have and need, today and in the future
- be able to translate the gap into risks and opportunities for the organisation
- create an action plan
- implement a successful workforce.
You can complete this course in your own time and at your own pace, but we estimate that it will involve 50 to 70 hours of learning, covering the following modules:
- Foundations of workforce planning
- Baseline (organisation and its environment)
- Supply (the current and future workforce)
- Demand (future workforce needs)
- Gap analysis (workforce gaps)
- Action planning (where next)
- Plan delivery (create the workforce of the future)
The Strategic Workforce Planning Accredited Programme includes check-ins on completion of each module to help embed your learning.
There will be a chance to resit the assessment for an additional fee. Please read our policy for more information.
A final 2,500-3,000 word marked submission, based on a reflection on your practice and the practical application of the learning in your context, will be assessed at the end of the course.
Completion will result in a certificate noting your successful achievement of this CIPD Accredited Programme. You will also gain access to a learning community of like-minded professionals to share experiences and deepen your skills and knowledge once the programme has finished.
You will be able to access the course for 12 months from purchase and the CIPD Learning Hub will remain accessible to you for 24 months.